Wednesday, October 14, 2009

1st quarter ORB review

First Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. Penguin Group, 2007.

Twisted is about a high schooler named Tyler Miller. Tyler faces problems in his life. His problems are his family, friends, crush, and involvement with the police. Tyler even thinks about suicide in the story. This book is filled with lots of high school drama. The setting is George Washington High, Tyler’s House, and Bethany’s House. The conflict is Tyler trying to find his place within his peers.

“This dark comedy gives a chillingly accurate portrayal of the high school social scene, in which morals, perceptions and conceptions of truth are continually being challenged.”
- Publishers Weekly

Laurie Halse Anderson’s writing style throughout the book is within the mind of male teenager. She writes in Tyler’s point of view where he thinks about girls, power, violence, and being cool. She also has a computer game called Tophet in the book that Tyler plays. When Tyler cannot get past a level, it represents a bump in his life or struggle. This is Anderson’s first book with a male protagonist. Other books written by Anderson are Speak, Catalyst, and Prom.

“As we pulled out of the parking lot, I pressed my face against the back window to watch her walk away. Bethany was the Alpha Female of George Washington High- the most beautiful, the most popular, the queen bee. She was also the daughter of my dad’s boss, and the sister of the guy who had been making my life hell for years” (8).

This is one of my favorite books I have ever read. I really like the way Laurie Halse Anderson writes. It is my first book that I have read by her. I plan to read one of Anderson’s other novels. I expect the next book I read by her to be very good. I also like the theme of the book to just be yourself. This is one of my favorite books because it was very entertaining. I always wanted to read it and find out what was going to happen with Tyler’s life. At one point, I thought Tyler’s social life was over, at another I thought he was finally perfect, at another I thought he was going to kill himself, and at one point, I thought he was going to kill his father. This book is full of emotions and drama which is why it was so fun to read.

1 comment:

  1. The reviewer's overall impression of the book was that he loved it. He said it was one of his favorite books ever. Sean said the author's writing style is inside the male mind thinking of girls, violence, power. I mean i guess so it was pretty much saying what he thought about the girl he liked. Yes, i would consider reading this book it sounds like a good reading that is interesting. I think the review gave it enoug flavor and information to make me want to read this book. I might just want to add in a more interesting quote if i were you.

    ReplyDelete